This group is to assist the livestock superintendents, exhibitors and staff with livestock such as cattle, poultry, swine, llamas, sheep, and goats. The exhibitors have a great deal of time, money, and heart invested in their animals. They are under a great deal of pressure, and naturally they want a smoothly run event that will enable them to show these animals to their best advantage.
LOCATION & CHECK-IN PROCEDURE
Check-in at the Volunteer Center located in the Expo Hall at the south end of the mezzanine, above the ticket office. Then proceed to the Livestock Volunteer Office located on the ground floor (under the stairway) between the cattle barn and the exhibitor livestock entryway to the stadium arena. If you are assigned to the Yards, you report to the Volunteer Information Booth located just outside the Livestock Center Auction Arena Building.
- Assist staff, exhibitors and superintendents in the livestock office barns, yards and Livestock Entry Office and Satellite Office located in a trailer located on the north part of the Complex.
- Assist Yard superintendent, with errands, and answering phones as requested.
- Help exhibitors in various ways especially during move-in and move-out.
- Keep strollers out of the barns. Inform visitors of the danger with stroller in the barns and direct them to the stroller corrals.
- Provide information to visitors and exhibitors.
- Operate gates and doors.
- Help maintain cleanliness and order in the barns and outside immediate surroundings.
- Assist maintenance crew when requested for help with gates and pens.
- Assist with processing of Junior Market Swine, Junior Market Lambs, Catch-A-Calf Contest, Llama Show, Alpaca Show, Sheep Lead, Dog Agility, various cattle breeds, Celebrity Chuck Wagon Cook-Off, and Stock Dog trials.
- Volunteers assist the exhibitors upon arrival with their unloading of animals, tack and feed, and escort them to their assigned stalling and pen locations.
- When their event is concluded, volunteers again assist them in move-out, and help prepare for the next livestock event.
- Volunteers should not handle the animals (including junior market exhibitors) for it will interfere with the responsibility of the exhibitor.
Apply to be a volunteer at the National Western Stock Show
Back to Volunteer Areas Overview