To better understand the equine-related events occurring during the National Western. Volunteers provide information and hospitality to promote the goals of the NWSS. They are committed to education of youth in agriculture. The National Western Horse Show needs a variety of people to do unique activities that flow into a functioning class or event. Among the following duties is a list of jobs that a volunteer may be asked to perform. Schedules for horse show volunteers—plan to work just that department on that day. Horse Show hours begin earlier and shifts run later than other volunteer areas. Qualified volunteers are needed to assist staff, exhibitors and visitors to enjoy Volunteer hours may start as early as 7:00 AM.
LOCATION & CHECK-IN PROCEDURE
Check-in at the Volunteer Center located in the Expo Hall at the south end of the mezzanine, above the ticket office. Then report to the Events Center Volunteer Office for assignment information.
- Attend gates, doors, and paddock areas for all horse classes as needed.
- Office assistance in stalling and entry office.
- Pony Trails
- Move-in and move-out of all breeds.
- Gator drivers and helpers for move-in and move-out. (Gator Drivers must be pre-approved and some lifting will be required).
- Present ribbons to classes when royalty or NWSS Staff are not available to do so (Dress Appropriately).
- Jump crew works with the show manager and the contract jump crew, including the course designer in setting up and taking down a hunter or jumper course.
- Maintain horse show volunteer office.
- Assist, as needed in the production of non-ticketed events.
- Help set obstacles and trail and/or obstacle classes for different breeds.
- Pre-Denver (Quarter Horse Show staring the week prior to the NWSS) – Assist with varied duties as assigned by the show manager.
- Direct pedestrian traffic during the draft and mule show, and as needed.
- Computer operating – including entry for scoring when necessary.
- Cattle crew: back-up timers, managing cattle movement for events, ranch horse classes and other events as needed.
- Other duties as needed.
Apply to be a volunteer at the National Western Stock Show
Back to Volunteer Areas Overview